APBP relies on book donations—we wouldn’t exist without them. Donate books you no longer need to us, or purchase a much-needed item from our wish list.
We are very thankful for the many donations we receive, but we are limited both by space and by the restrictions of the prisons to which we send books. Before you send us a donation, please read these guidelines.
Book Donation Guidelines
APBP accepts donations of new and used paperback books.
Books We Need
We always need these four books:
- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Philip Morehead, New American Roget’s College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form
- Sarah Janssen, World Almanac and Book of Facts 2020
- Steven Gifis, Dictionary of Legal Terms: Definitions and Explanations for Non-Lawyers (5th ed.)
These types of books are also frequently requested:
- Paperback dictionaries and thesauri
- World almanacs
- Foreign language learning materials (Spanish, French, Russian, German, American Sign Language, Chinese, Japanese, Latin, etc.)
- Law or medical dictionaries
- GED preparation guides
- How-to books (art, music, crafts, yoga, exercise, construction, plumbing, etc.)
- Wiccan books
- Popular fiction (spy, mystery, fantasy, urban, etc.)
- Classical literature
- Educational books (business, finance, writing, etc.)
Books We Do Not Need
At this time, we do not need the following books:
- Hardcover books
- General fiction
- Romance books
- Magazines or pamphlets
- Old textbooks
- Books in very poor condition (badly stained books, books with markings in the text, etc.)
Not sure if the books you would like to donate are a good match? Please contact us.
Sending Books By Mail
You may mail books to our post office box using regular postal service (UPS will not deliver to our PO box). Please limit the donation to no more than two medium-sized boxes.
Our mailing address:
Appalachian Prison Book Project
PO Box 601
Morgantown, WV 26507
Making Donations in Person
You may drop books off in our work space in the Aull Center, on the second floor, when the Aull Center is open. Do not leave books on the porch. The Morgantown Public Library has graciously donated a space to us, and that was one of their few requests. Please respect those wishes.
The Aull Center is open from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday, and from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
Special Requests and Wish Lists
APBP gets a steady stream of requests for particular books. Check out our wish lists to purchase and donate one of these books.
WordPlay Wish List
We have partnered with WordPlay, an independent bookstore in Wardensville, WV that is dedicated to promoting the power of reading. You can support this indie bookstore and APBP by ordering from our WordPlay Wish List on Bookshop.
Amazon Wish Lists
In addition to our partnership with WordPlay, we have set up two wish lists on Amazon. The first is our general Amazon Wish List featuring a variety of books we need. The second is our Wicca Wish List focused on titles in one of our most popular genres.
Amazon will not deliver to PO boxes. Instead, send to the following address:
Appalachian Prison Book Project
40 High St, Ste 101, Box 601
Morgantown, WV 26505-0172
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.